Support and advocacy for pregnant women who are struggling with alcohol and/or substance use.
The Goals of First Steps
- To help mothers build and maintain healthy, independent family lives
- To assure that children are in safe and stable homes
- To prevent future births of alcohol and drug exposed children
The First Steps Approach
Trained and supervised advocates provide home visitation and intervention to mothers and their families for 3 years.
Advocates Assist Mothers In:
- Setting goals and identifying steps to achieve them
- Obtaining alcohol/drug treatment
- Staying in recovery
- Choosing a family planned method
- Accessing child health care and immunizations
- Connecting with community services
- Providing transportation to important appointments
- Sorting out housing and child custody issues
- Addressing domestic violence
- Resolving system service barriers
Is First Steps for you or someone that you know?
Contact the First Steps Program by calling
Program funding provided by: