PCAP: First Steps
- Parent-Child Assistance Program
First Steps PCAP – Parent |Child Assistance Program
Free & Confidential Service
First Steps welcomes community and self referrals. The First Steps (PCAP) program supports women who are pregnant or up to 12 months postpartum, experiencing issues with alcohol and/or drug use and who would benefit from connections to supports and resources.
Safest not to drink alcohol during pregnancy.
Programming to help mothers struggling with addictions.
Trained and supervised advocates provide one-on-one personalized supports that include home visitation and intervention to mothers and their families for 3 years.
Community and self referrals welcomed!
Goals of first steps
To help mothers build and maintain healthy, independent family lives
To assure that children are in safe and stable homes
To prevent future births of alcohol and drug exposed children
ADVOCATES HELP MOTHERS IN:
- Setting goals and identifying steps to achieve them
- Obtaining alcohol/drug treatment
- Staying in recovery
- Choosing a family planning method
- Accessing child health care and immunizations
- Connecting with community services
- Providing transportation to important appointments
- Sorting out housing and child custody issues
- Addressing domestic violence
- Resolving system service barriers
Is First Steps for you or someone that you know?
Contact the First Steps Program, we want to help. There is help & support for you.
Free • Confidential • Judge Free
Call or Text:
- AB Child and Family Services (after hours)
- Bullying Help Line
- Child Abuse Hotline
- Children’s Advocate
- Child Disability Resource Link
- Family Violence Info Line
310-1818 (toll free 24/7)
- Health Link Alberta
- Kids Help Line
- The Crisis Line
- South Region Child and Family Services – Brooks